Village Vancouver is working steadfastly to build this city and the region's capacity for change toward more sustainable living: less affected by global economic shocks and instability, better able to manage severe climate shocks, and all together a more socially just and fair society.
But we need your help!
We are currently looking to fill several key organizational roles to build the kind of responsive and responsible society we envision. Many members take on specific projects of their own design, while others provide vital support and coordination to ensure all of our projects are both successful on their own and synergistic with others. Below are several key positions we are looking to fill, all part-time or event-related and geared to already active people. Working together, we can do a lot with limited time and resources.
We all give what we can, and we make a difference. If you would like to volunteer with Village Vancouver, either for one of the volunteer opportunities listed below or in any other capacity, please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form or simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Email Manager: take charge of our growing collection of email lists and listservs, including coordinating the creation of new, targeted lists for specific Transition-related interests and updating and scrubbing older paper and computer lists. Skills: data entry and an interest in exploring new opportunities in on-line communications.
- Videographer: make videos of events for VVTV and post them to this site, learn about video production, including making our own “In Transition” Vancouver video to document our expansion and relevance to sustainability in Vancouver.
- Slideshow Artist: make Slideshows about VV using the incredible collection of photos on this site, shows which can be used as talking "wall-paper" at VV events.
- Event Promoter: coordinate the posting of major citywide VV events in the Georgia Straight, Westender, Courier, and other on-line calendars, such as the VV Facebook page. A few events a month need a little extra outreach to the "usual suspects" and also to those not currently reached. Make contacts with media and help our growing Facebook community come alive.
- Materials Organizer: make and help to keep up a tote box of VV outreach materials that can be easily taken to booth/table events
- Tablers: Help promote Village when we table or have a booth or demo village at a larger city-wide event.
- Group and Network coordinators/core group members: Some of our Groups and Networks aren't very active because we don't have coordinators for them. Take a small leadership role in your community or on a topic of interest, and a little time investment can leverage our huge resource of committed people.
- Newsletter Editors: We are looking for a core group of members to form a Newsletter Committee to help get our newsletter out each month and make it the best it can be. Perfect for aspiring journalists and media barons!
- Community Currency Team Member: You can help Vancouver realise the many benefits to community currencies can bring, including a more vibrant, greener and more resilient local economy and new sources of support for resource-strapped community groups and charities. We currently have a local currency project on the go in Dunbar, and have other projects and activities in the works. Some of the help we can use includes:
- Designers (money, brochures, posters, logos, infographs etc)
- People to help with outreach to businesses, community groups and the public
- Website/social media designers andf administrators
- Writers and good communicators (essential for getting these concepts across!)
- Computer techs and programmers
- Videographers, animators and photographers
- Event planners
- People with legal experience
- Much more! Feel free to contact email@example.com directly to inquire about any community currency volunteer opportunities.
Car Free Day VV Main St. Community Village volunteers, now
thru June 16:
Join dozens of other volunteers working with organizers Ross and Randy to create a huge VV Community Village at the Main St. Car Free Festival on June 16.
Kitsilano Car Free Day Core Organizers, now thru June 16:
Every year Kits residents, including many VVers help organize and participate in 20-25 block parties on CarFree Day. The Kits organizing team needs 2 or 3 more people to help with this.
Folk Festival Tablers, 3rd weekends in July: 10-12 Villagers are needed to help staff our 2 tent Village from Friday afternoon to Sunday night. Reduced price tickets are available for volunteers who commit to 4 hours lounging in our Village "living room," smiling, and drinking ice tea (and answering questions and otherwise helping out). A couple volunteers are also needed to help setup (usually earlier in the day on Friday) and breakdown (on Monday after). 2013 fest: This year we'll likely just attend the festival, rather than have a booth.Look for the VV sign at the VV tarp during the day (Fri-Sun; comes down when the evening concert begins).
If you have other skills you'd like to share--maybe something we didn't know we needed--please leave a comment below.