The conditions by which all users of this site agree to abide are:
- Being respectful of and civil to all members.
- Contributing non-commercial posts and messages which help create a constructive dialogue around transitioning toward strong, low-carbon, resilient, and complete communities; building Village Vancouver; and strengthening the Transition Town movement.
- Avoiding abusive language, name-calling, insults, ridicule, spamming, harassment, belittling, demeaning, baiting, personal attacks, unsubstantiated allegations, and hurtful behaviour towards other members, or anything which encourages these types of behaviour.
With specific respect to posting events, which all members currently may do and without moderation, Village Vancouver members are encouraged to use the
Events page to post workshops, screenings, potlucks, courses, gatherings, happenings, and celebrations that are relevant to our mission, which is to transition towards strong, low-carbon, resilient and complete communities. Village Vancouver reserves the right to edit or remove any event posting that the Board does not feel sufficiently meets these criteria, and to suspend the membership of any person or organisation suspected of abusing the Events page for purely commercial purposes or for purposes not related to the principles and mission and of the Transition Town movement.
Any member of Village Vancouver may report a violation of the above Guidelines by selecting "Report an Issue" in the bar at the bottom of every page of this site or by sending a note
to the Board email or
to any member of the Board of Directors. The Board will take disciplinary action against any member who transgresses these guidelines, including suspension from activity on this web site and from programs run by Village Vancouver. Depending upon the circumstances of the perceived violation, the Board will try to contact parties to a dispute to open up a respectful dialogue and facilitate mediation, but Village Vancouver reserves the right to suspend a member without advanced warning.
While the above guidelines are the essentials and
essentially all of which we use to govern activity on our site, nothing is immune to additional fine print, which suitably below is "in fine print:"
If you use the Village Vancouver website (the "Site") you further agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
Content on this Site
- The information provided by us on the Site is not in any way an invitation or recommendation to buy any products or services featured.
- We will endeavour to allow uninterrupted access to the Site.
- We reserve the right to change, or remove without notice any information on the Site.
- We assume no responsibility for the contents of any other websites to which the Site has links.
Exclusions of liability
- The copyright in the Site design, text, and graphics, and their selection and arrangement, and all software compilations, underlying source code and software (including applets) exists under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 License originating from the Village Vancouver Transition Society.
- The copyright in the content of the Site resides with its authors and the responsibility with the providers of such information; none of this material may be reproduced or redistributed without attribution to the authors.
- The VillageVancouver.ca, VillageVancouver.com, and VillageVancouver.org domain names are owned by the Village Vancouver Transition Society. Other product and company names mentioned on this Site may be the domains, trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
- You shall retain ownership of all copyright in data you submit to the Site under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 License. You grant the community a world-wide, royalty-free, non-terminable licence to use, copy, distribute, such data in any manner with the mention of the author.
User name and password
- We use reasonable endeavours to ensure that the data on the Site is accurate and to correct any errors or omissions as soon as practicable after being notified of them. We do not monitor, verify or endorse information submitted by third parties for posting on the Site and you should be aware that such information may be inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we disclaim all warranties and representations (whether express or implied) as to the accuracy of any information contained on the Site. We do not guarantee that the Site will be fault free and do not accept liability for any errors or omissions.
- Due to the nature of electronic transmission of data over the internet, and the number of users by whom data is posted on to the Site, any liability we may have for any losses or claims arising from an inability to access the Site, or from any use of the Site or reliance on the data transmitted using the Site, is excluded to the fullest extent permissible by law. In no event shall we be liable for any loss of profit, revenues, goodwill, opportunity, business, anticipated savings or other indirect or consequential loss of any kind in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise arising out of use of the Site, save where such liability cannot be excluded by law.
- We do not give any warranty that the Site is free from viruses or anything else which may have a harmful effect on any technology.
Data submitted by users
- On registering with us, you are issued with a user name and password which must be used in order to access certain restricted parts of the Site. The user name and password are personal to you and are not transferable.
- Your name and password are the methods used by us to identify you and so are very important. You are responsible for all information posted on the Site by anyone using your user name and password. Any breach of security of a user name and password should be notified to us immediately.
- You may not adapt or circumvent the systems in place in connection with the Site nor access the Site other than through normal operations.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. We will collect and use information supplied by you and other users of the Site to improve the Site and personalise your experience when you visit the Site. We may also use it to tell you about changes in our services or about features we think you'll find interesting. However, you can tell us not to deal with your personal information in these ways in the future by simply sending an e-mail message to our web co-ordination team.
- We accept no liability for data supplied by any user for display on the Site.
- If you submit data for display on the Site you are responsible for ensuring that the data is accurate, complete and up to date and for updating that data where necessary.
- If you submit data for display on the Site you are responsible for ensuring that no data is uploaded or submitted which is untrue, defamatory, obscene or abusive or otherwise objectionable or in breach of any applicable laws or rights of third parties.
- You warrant that you have taken all reasonable precautions to ensure that any data you upload or otherwise submit to the Site is free from viruses and anything else which may have a contaminating or destructive effect on any part of the Site or any other technology.
- We reserve the right (without limiting our rights to seek other remedies) to remove offending material placed on the Site that we consider to constitute a misuse of the Site or which is otherwise harmful to other users of the Site.
- You will indemnify us for any claim or loss (including without limitation, economic loss) suffered by us arising out of your failure to observe any of the terms of these conditions.
- We may terminate your access to the Site and the services within it with written notice to you.
- All disclaimers, indemnities and exclusions in this agreement shall survive termination of this Agreement for any reason.
- If any provision of these terms and conditions is held to be unlawful, invalid or unenforceable, that provision shall be deemed severed and the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions of these terms and conditions shall not be affected.
- We may modify these terms and conditions at any time by publishing the modified terms and conditions on the Site.
- These terms are governed by and to be construed in accordance with British Common Law as extended to all Canadian citizens, residents, and visitors under the British North America Act (BNA) of 1867 as amended and renamed in 1982 as the "Constitution Act, 1867."
- Any disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of British Columbia, Canada, under British Common Law.