Village Vancouver

Vancouver's Leader in Transition toward Strong, Resilient, Complete Communities

Hello people, Ive just arrived on the chicken scene and am wondering if there is a cost benefit to having your own layers or is it just for fun? So far building the coop ive put in 240 dollars and then two bags of feed, one laying mash the other cracked corn was 40 bucks. And now i need a bale of straw for 20 dollars. Ive only got three hens because the space isn't huge and they cost me 65. Thus far ive done this on my own so that's a total of 365 just to get started which is the equivalent of 73 doz eggs at 5 bucks a doz. I think it would take me a very long time to aquire 73 doz eggs. Can anyone help me to make this venture a little less expensive? Furthermore I'd love to see some coops, did the tour of coops happen? I do love my hens, and am getting a lot of pleasure out of them, but I don't think this is really urban farming because the cost is far more than purchasing organic eggs. So I don't think anyone should be fooled that there is a cost benefit to having your own chickens.

Views: 239

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, its not cheap to get set up. I do feel for you-I spent about $1000.00 on my coop. I did the math before I started and I too was a little dissapointed that it didn't really look like I would be saving any money. If we just stick to dollars math you want to build a coop that will hold the maximum amount of chickens-building a bit bigger doesn't cost much more. You can also think longer term-what if you spread your set up costs over 30 years of eggs? You might need replacement chickens every few years-but raising chicks is cheaper. You can save money on feed by collecting not-quite-nice-enough-to-sell veggies from local markets before they throw them out or collecting grass and dandelion greens, food scaps etc, though you always need a base of layer feed to keep an adequate calcium and protien balance. In order to be saving money you need to actually use all the eggs you get too, as we can't legally sell them in Vancouver. I think if you are only concerned with the financials, the math is not encouraging. However, in addition to fun, you get the benefit of knowing what you're eating-no antibiotics, hormones, etc etc. If you do some research into commercial egg production you'll be horrified. It's inhumane and they feed a lot of things you don't want in your food. One of my favorite benefits is the flavor! We feed organic layer mash with a lot of dandelion, pumpkin scraps, grass clippings, food scarps-all organic. Our eggs taste fantastic. I think in all fairness you ought to use $6.50 a dozen in your calculations as your eggs can compare to the nicest organic free range on the market.

RSS

Village engages individuals, neighbourhoods & organizations to take actions that build sustainable communities & have fun doing it. Join us!

Donate or Join VV Transition Society

Join VV Transition Society

Make a donation here or here:

Become a Monthly Donor here or here (click on desired option before hitting subscribe):

Buy Books -- Support Village Vancouver

Village earns 15% on your book purchases from New Society Publishers. Details here.

Latest Activity

Village Vancouver's event was featured
Thumbnail

*Depth of Field: Film Screening and Community Event at Community Hall, Kitsilano Neighbourhood House

March 21, 2024 from 5pm to 8pm
Mar 18
Village Vancouver posted an event
Thumbnail

*Depth of Field: Film Screening and Community Event at Community Hall, Kitsilano Neighbourhood House

March 21, 2024 from 5pm to 8pm
Mar 18
Soeine Bac updated their profile
Dec 4, 2023
Megan Vancouver joined Village Vancouver's group
Nov 14, 2023

Ongoing Activities

Interested in getting involved or volunteering with Village Vancouver? check out http://www.villagevancouver.ca/page/volunteering-1.

Regular activities:

Interested in participating in a VV garden? We have collaborative gardens/garden spaces in 5 neighbourhoods. Contact us at gardening@villagevancouver.ca. Gardening now in progress. New gardeners welcome (space allowing).

Kits Village Recycling Depot (Kits Community Centre) Next depot: Thursday, June 15th

Main St. Village monthly gatherings (1st Tuesdays Little Mountain Neighbourhood House) Currently on hold due to COVID

Permaculture Vancouver Meetups (3rd Wednesdays VV McBride Park Fieldhouse (sometimes elsewhere) Next meetup: Special date Thursday, July 29th

West End Community Potluck/WE Urban Garden Club (3rd Sundays West End Community Centre, in July and August 4th Thursdays - July 22nd and August 26th.

© 2024   Created by Yael Stav.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service