Vancouver's Leader in Transition toward Strong, Resilient, Complete Communities
Time: October 8, 2013 at 6pm to October 22, 2013 at 8:30pm
Location: Vancouver, multiple locations
Event Neighbourhood and Type: vancouver, art, culture, sustainability, food, living green, lighter footprint
Organized By: Sustenance festival. VV events organized by VV and our event partners
Latest Activity: Oct 8, 2013
It's time for Sustenance! 2 weeks - 25+ events.
Village is pleased to offer several events (in bold) - many in partnership* with other Neighbourhood Food Networks and others - at the 5th Sustenance Festival, including Neighbour Savour on opening night, and From Here To There Cultivating a Lighter Footprint as the closing night event.
We'll also have a seed library at other events (Hastings-Sunrise Garden Tours and Krazy Kale) and will participate in Taste the Westside (17th).
Sustenance can be defined as: Food and drink regarded as a source of strength as well as the maintaining of someone or something in life or existence. From October 8 until October 22, Vancouver’s Sustenance Festival will examine words such as “sustainability” and “living green” through a series of interactive dialogues and presentations that will shed light on how we can contribute to a better living experience with our fellow humans.
From seed saving to bike maintenance; community dinners and celebrations of both World Indigenous and World Food Day to discussions on the “right to food” and paper saving, community leaders will engage and collaborate with attendees in a conversation of how to create a lighter footprint.
- Oct 8 – Neighbour Savour Neighbourhood Potluck – Heritage Hall
- Oct 10 – Backyard Chickens Workshop – Strathcona
- Oct 10 – Eating Green – Choices, Kits
- Oct 12 – Neighbourhood Potluck - South Van
- Oct 12 – Paper Saver Workshop – Marpole-Oakridge
- Oct 12 – First Peoples Food Sharings Ritual – Grandview Woodlands
- Oct 13 – World Indigenous Day – Roundhouse
- Oct 14 – Cob Pizza and Bread Baking – Hastings- Sunrise
- Oct 15 – Garden Tours – H-S
- Oct 15 – The Art of Food Drying, Storing and Saving – West End
- Oct 16 – World Food Day “Right to Food” – Roundhouse
- Oct 17 – Crazy Kale – H-S
- Oct 17– Garden Tours – H-S
- Oct 17 – Taste the Westside Food Community – Kits
- Oct 18 - Nicole Foss and Laurence Boomert - Langara College
- Oct 18 – Fall Harvest Community Dance – Trout Lake
- Oct 19 – Seed Saving Beginning and Advanced Workshops – Mount Pleasant
- Oct 19 – What’s Cooking – DTES Neighbourhood Food Network
- Oct 19 – Marpole Neighbourhood Food Network Potluck and Visioning Session – Marpole
- Oct 19 –Dialogue on Access to Healthy Food for All People – Grandview
- Oct 20 – Bike Maintenance Workshop – Roundhouse
- Oct 20 - RIPE – Vancouver Farmers Market Dinner – Roundhouse
- Oct 21 – Canning and Preserving Workshop – Strathcona
- Oct 22 – From Here to There: Cultivating a Lighter Footprint – Interactive Evening – MOV
For details check the event post or http://www.sustenancefestival.ca/
*Big thanks to VV event partners and other collaborators:
Sustenance, Strathcona Community Centre Food Security Program, Hastings-Sunrise Community Food Network, Hastings-Sunrise CC Learning Garden, WE Neighbourhood Food Network, Gordon NH, So Van NFN, Westside Food Collaborative, Frog Hollow NH, Marpole NFN, Marpole Place NH, Vancouver Food Policy Council, Museum of Vancouver, and Living the New Economy.
VV also thanks Heritage Hall, Strathcona CC, Marpole-Oakridge CC, Mt. Pleasant CC, and the Roundhouse CC for providing space.