Village Vancouver

Vancouver's Leader in Transition toward Strong, Resilient, Complete Communities

See below for information on our Main Street Neighbourhood Potlucks, and notes about earlier potluck gatherings.

Views: 224

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings Main Street Area Neighbours!

I hope you can make our next neighborhood potluck gathering in February. Lauren Dey has kindly offered to host on Sunday February 21 at 6:30pm . Please email her if you can make it (info below).

Anna

Info from Lauren:
2536 Guelph Street, in between 10th avenue and Broadway- the big green house next to an empty lot on broadway. I am on the second floor, the entrance is around the left-side of the house where you'll see a large staircase. Email Lauren here at lmd2@sfu.ca.

Lauren Dey is an individual in transition, she holds a bachelor's degree in Women's Studies and Literature from SFU and is currently completing a post-baccalaureate degree in Sustainable Community Development. Despite her addiction to school and a penchance for changing her passion every month, she spends her days in the consignment window at Front & Company on Main helping neighbors recycle their wardrobes and contribute to the local economy. She hopes to take part in Vancouver's transition movement and to also is working on setting up a textile cooperative in East Vancouver that will provide the community with sewing and DIY, mending and other creative skills, link different generations through hands-on learning, and fight over-consumption through consumer awareness outreach to local schools. She looks forward to getting to know her neigbours better and learning from one another.
A big thanks to Avril for hosting January's potluck, and to Anna, Maddie, Steve, Celia, Jill, Jason, Lauren, Shamir, Surrinder, Varouj, Randy, Dean, and Nicki for sharing their culinary treasures and stories.

2010 is off to a good start.
A big round of thanks to Lauren and Bear for sharing their home with us last Sunday evening! The food was beyond scrumptious and the company upbeat and engaging despite some hockey disappointment that afternoon.

We were quite a crowd in Lauren's cozy livingroom with Kate, Jill, Celia, Shamir, Surrinder, Olivia, James, Diana, Shale, Anna, Julian, Munisha, Neil, Randy, Lauren, and at least a couple more whose names I forget and will not have to try to mispell.

We talked about local area planning in the Riley Park area, the neighbourhood small grants program (Heritage Hall party anyone? and applications in by March 30), seed sharing, yard sharing, coordinated purchase of city compost, and much more.

This spring Main Street Neighbourhood will blossom. (We already are!)
Hello Main Street Area Neighbours!

I hope you are having a wonderful day and I hope you can make our next neighborhood potluck gathering in March. Celia has kindly offered to host on Sunday, March 28th at 6:30pm, 3860 Ontario Street between 22nd and 23rd. Please email Celia if you can make it: celia_bee@hotmail.com.

*If people are driving, please park on west side of street. Bikes can be locked in the backyard.

*Please bring your own plate and cutlery.

*As Celia mentioned at the previous potluck she has a large spacious yard and would love to share it with people interested in gardening. You are welcome to come earlier at 6:00pm for garden viewing.

*Earth Hour is the day before our potluck - and so we are planning to do a repeat earth hour at our gathering on Sunday by having a candlelight gathering. Please bring a candle and holder. More information on Earth hour (Saturday March 27th at 8:30pm) is here http://www.earthhour.org/Homepage.aspx including various ideas on how to participate.

*For those of you who missed the previous potluck Shamir and Surrinder brought pamphlets regarding the Neighbourhood Small Grants Program - grants from $50 to $500 are available, please see link here http://www.lmnhs.bc.ca/nsgp/index2.htm We thought we would brainstorm ideas before and at our next potluck ...the deadline is march 31st.

*Also, Celia is hosting a workshop with Robin Wheeler this Sunday March 7th: Edible Landscaping 11am-1pm (potluck to follow) Please see all the details on the Village Vancouver site including many other workshops happening this weekend: medicine making. Designing for long tern storage, intentional community, Apartment and Container Gardening, Food Preservation, Intensive Urban Microfarming

Looking forward to seeing you in March!
Anna
A belated but special thanks to Celia for hosting our last neighbourhood potluck, including a grand tour of her wilderness...aka back yard. There will be a salmon stream there someday, I am sure.

The food was of course excellent, and the company even better. We had a seed sharing exercise and I hope those who received some seeds have planted them. It is certainly warm enough now to get your garden's going, especially if from seed. We'll have another seed sharing at Varouj's, and this time I'll bring some pots as well. Maybe some soil, too.

Let's green up Vancouver!
A message from Anna Chase to all members of Main Street Neighbourhood on Village Vancouver!

Hi neighbours!
Our next neighbourhood potluck will be on Sunday April 25th at 6:30. Thank you Varouj for hosting! It is at 107 West 21st Avenue near Manitoba (between Cambie and Main).

Please let Varouj know if you can make it varouj@telus.net.

Please bring your own plate and cutlery. There is plenty of parking space for shoes, bikes and even cars.

Thanks again Rand for bringing your extensive seed collection and sharing it at the last potluck. We will have another seed sharing session at Varouj's. Bring seeds if you have any, or just come with an interest in selecting some herbs or anything that strikes your fancy.

Bring some new life into your life! (I'll bring some pots as well this month, so you'll have a place to start your seeds.)

I hope you all can make it!
Have a wonderful day,
Anna
Hi Main Street Area Neighbours!
As the weather is finally getting warm I thought it would be fun to make our next gathering a picnic potluck at one of our beautiful local parks- Queen Elizabeth!
A few people mentioned that weekdays would suit them as well and so I’m hoping Wednesday May 26th at 6:00pm works for many. Please email me at anyachase@yahoo.ca to let me know if you can make it. (Also please check your email a day or two prior in case we have to change the date due to rain)
Please meet on the east side of the park near the corner of 33rd and Ontario
http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/queenelizabeth/qemap.htm
There is a small lagoon there and we can spread out some blankets.
Please bring a plate and cutlery and a blanket (if possible).
Looking forward to picnicking with you!
Anna
Just wondering if we have made other plans for Wednesday's pot-luck, if it's raining? Our house is available, Shamir and I live about 5 blocks away, between Main and Fraser and 29th Ave.
Thanks,
Surrinder
Hi Surrinder, Thanks for offering your home! The weather is not looking great and so I will email everyone soon with new details for tomorrow's potluck (Wednesday May 26th at 6:00pm), Cheers, Anna
Greetings Main Street Area Neighbours! I hope you all had a wonderful long weekend.

The weather does not look great for a picnic at QE park so thank you to Shamir and Surrinder for offering to host at their warm, dry home at
475 Aubrey Place, (which about 5 blocks east of Main tucked in between 29th and 30th Ave), Wednesday May 26th at 6:00pm

Please bring your own plate and cutlery,
I hope to see you there!
Anna
Greetings Main Street Neighbours!
Thank you again to Surrinder & Shamir for hosting the last scrumptious potluck and for the pleasure of seeing your amazing garden! As June promises to be (better be!) less rainy I thought we’d try again for a picnic potluck at Queen Elizabeth Park. I hope everyone can make it on sunny, Sunday June 27th at 6pm. Please meet on the east side of the park near the corner of 33rd and Ontario
http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/queenelizabeth/qemap.htm There is a small lagoon there and we can spread out some blankets. Please bring a plate and cutlery and a blanket (if possible).If you have a chance please email me at anyachase@yahoo.ca to let me know if you can make it. (Also please check your email a day or two prior in case we have to change the date due to rain)
HI all!
I'm still hoping that the sunshine will prevail and rain forecast for tomorrow changes so that we can still have a sunny picnic at Queen Elizabeth park (Sunday June 27th at 6pm.) !

I will email tomorrow morning (by 10am) to confirm our Main street potluck location. 'Plan B' will be at our home. Please email anyachase@yahoo.ca for the address.

I hope you can make it! Anna

(below I repeat the details regarding the location at Queen E Park)
Please meet on the east side of the park near the corner of 33rd and Ontario
http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/queenelizabeth/qemap.htm There is a small lagoon there and we can spread out some blankets.

RSS

Village engages individuals, neighbourhoods & organizations to take actions that build sustainable communities & have fun doing it. Join us!

Donate or Join VV Transition Society

Join VV Transition Society

Make a donation here or here:

Become a Monthly Donor here or here (click on desired option before hitting subscribe):

Buy Books -- Support Village Vancouver

Village earns 15% on your book purchases from New Society Publishers. Details here.

Latest Activity

Village Vancouver's event was featured
Thumbnail

*Depth of Field: Film Screening and Community Event at Community Hall, Kitsilano Neighbourhood House

March 21, 2024 from 5pm to 8pm
Mar 18
Village Vancouver posted an event
Thumbnail

*Depth of Field: Film Screening and Community Event at Community Hall, Kitsilano Neighbourhood House

March 21, 2024 from 5pm to 8pm
Mar 18
Soeine Bac updated their profile
Dec 4, 2023
Megan Vancouver joined Village Vancouver's group
Nov 14, 2023

Ongoing Activities

Interested in getting involved or volunteering with Village Vancouver? check out http://www.villagevancouver.ca/page/volunteering-1.

Regular activities:

Interested in participating in a VV garden? We have collaborative gardens/garden spaces in 5 neighbourhoods. Contact us at gardening@villagevancouver.ca. Gardening now in progress. New gardeners welcome (space allowing).

Kits Village Recycling Depot (Kits Community Centre) Next depot: Thursday, June 15th

Main St. Village monthly gatherings (1st Tuesdays Little Mountain Neighbourhood House) Currently on hold due to COVID

Permaculture Vancouver Meetups (3rd Wednesdays VV McBride Park Fieldhouse (sometimes elsewhere) Next meetup: Special date Thursday, July 29th

West End Community Potluck/WE Urban Garden Club (3rd Sundays West End Community Centre, in July and August 4th Thursdays - July 22nd and August 26th.

© 2024   Created by Yael Stav.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service