Village Vancouver

Vancouver's Leader in Transition toward Strong, Resilient, Complete Communities

In the next few weeks we are going to begin an off grid solar installation at our home in Tsawwassen.  I had considered a grid tied system but that just equates to feeding the beast that's killing us all, and now with their Smart Meter program grid tied just isn't an option. 

Off grid is more complicated and more expensive.  Way more expensive...  lol

Views: 1274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's a lovely chart. :)

I have to correct myself on the last entry I made as we had produced over 4kWh/day, once in Feb and several times in March. I was looking at the wrong column. And we didn't run the generator every day for 3 hours, that was every other day during the previous Dec and Jan.

Ah but this Feb is stellar. We ran the generator only 11 hours compared to 16 from the previous year. We met 90% of our demand with a total production of 71 kW and a usage of 79. That's up 5.5% from last Feb.

I'm leaning towards a small sail boat sized wind turbine on the roof for next winter. I suppose it'll cost around $4k installed. It's the next logical step.

I wonder what the municipal bylaws are around wind turbines. "Greenest city" Vancouver has no rules on solar PV, and the inspectors also have no training on their proper set-up and connections. The situation is extremely frustrating as it significantly drives up costs and uncertainty. It is decidedly not a DIY project, and due only to opaque or non-existant city rules.

I agree that wind can provide some nice diversity of power input, but you'd have to carefully assess your annual wind load. I have a small hand-held anemometer, and I know they make relatively cheap roof-mounted ones, and you'd want one that produces a full time-series (often called an anemograph or wind-logger). I found one here: http://www.scientificsales.com/WindLog-Wind-Data-Logger-p/windlog.htm. You could then avoid the problem that the Grouse Mountain wind turbine has, producing less expected power over its lifetime than it took to build it. (More info on this fact here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/147478414/Our-Post-Truth-Culture-and-Gree... )

Through all of this, I am oddly jealous of the Germans, who pay 40 cents per kWh, over four times what we do. We'd be making out like kings there, in comparison with our less abled or inspired neighbours. We might even have taken the next step and be earning money from feeding the net and undercutting all other more polluting power sources (who are so heavily subsidized here). Canada needs a serious energy policy, especially now that the tar sands are going belly up.

Anyway, once again, I have to say that you have a LOT to teach the world, and most likely have the most resilient household energy system in Canada.

RSS

Village engages individuals, neighbourhoods & organizations to take actions that build sustainable communities & have fun doing it. Join us!

Donate or Join VV Transition Society

Join VV Transition Society

Make a donation here or here:

Become a Monthly Donor here or here (click on desired option before hitting subscribe):

Buy Books -- Support Village Vancouver

Village earns 15% on your book purchases from New Society Publishers. Details here.

Latest Activity

Village Vancouver's event was featured
Thumbnail

*Depth of Field: Film Screening and Community Event at Community Hall, Kitsilano Neighbourhood House

March 21, 2024 from 5pm to 8pm
Mar 18
Village Vancouver posted an event
Thumbnail

*Depth of Field: Film Screening and Community Event at Community Hall, Kitsilano Neighbourhood House

March 21, 2024 from 5pm to 8pm
Mar 18
Soeine Bac updated their profile
Dec 4, 2023
Megan Vancouver joined Village Vancouver's group
Nov 14, 2023

Ongoing Activities

Interested in getting involved or volunteering with Village Vancouver? check out http://www.villagevancouver.ca/page/volunteering-1.

Regular activities:

Interested in participating in a VV garden? We have collaborative gardens/garden spaces in 5 neighbourhoods. Contact us at gardening@villagevancouver.ca. Gardening now in progress. New gardeners welcome (space allowing).

Kits Village Recycling Depot (Kits Community Centre) Next depot: Thursday, June 15th

Main St. Village monthly gatherings (1st Tuesdays Little Mountain Neighbourhood House) Currently on hold due to COVID

Permaculture Vancouver Meetups (3rd Wednesdays VV McBride Park Fieldhouse (sometimes elsewhere) Next meetup: Special date Thursday, July 29th

West End Community Potluck/WE Urban Garden Club (3rd Sundays West End Community Centre, in July and August 4th Thursdays - July 22nd and August 26th.

© 2024   Created by Yael Stav.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service